Holiday Pear and Fennel Salad Recipe
Holiday Pear and Fennel Salad
The Metropolitan Market Holiday Pear is so ripe and soft that we suggest serving it atop a salad. This elegant and easy recipe showcases the pear on a bed of arugula and thinly sliced fennel with nuts and cheese. Get everything ready, then assemble at the very last minute.
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, more to taste
- 1/3 cup Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 cups arugula or other baby salad greens
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh fennel bulb (See Cook’s Tips)
- 2 ripe Holiday Pears, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or gorgonzola
- For dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Set aside or cover and chill until serving time.
- For salad: In a medium bowl combine arugula, fennel, and half the walnuts. Add half of dressing and toss to blend well. Place salad on salad plates or a large platter.
- Top with sliced pears, the remaining walnuts, and cheese. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Use a mandoline to cut fennel into thin (about 1/16-inch) slices. If desired, marinate fennel in the salad dressing for 15 minutes before adding remaining ingredients.