Butternut Squash and Mushroom Lasagne Recipe
Butternut Squash and Mushroom Lasagne
Winter squash and mushrooms are layered with cheese and a silky béchamel sauce in this special lasagne. Streamline prep with pre-cut butternut squash and no-boil lasagne noodles.
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 lb cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 lb (4 cups) butternut squash or other winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 cup broth or water
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 12 no-boil lasagne noodles
- 2 1/2 cups (10 oz) shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and once hot, add onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onion and mushrooms are soft. Stir in sage. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add squash cubes to skillet and season with salt and pepper. Add broth, cover, and simmer until squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool. Whirl in a blender or food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to whisk until béchamel comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add nutmeg and season with salt, to taste.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the béchamel on bottom of dish. Top with 3 lasagne noodles. Spread 1/3 of the squash on the noodles; top with 1/4 of the mushrooms and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Drizzle with 1/2 cup béchamel. Repeat layering 2 times. Top with 3 noodles. Spread remaining sauce evenly over noodles.
- Cover pan tightly with oiled foil. Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle top of lasagne with remaining mushrooms, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. Return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until top is golden and cheese is melted.
- Let lasagne stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Lasagne can be assembled a day ahead and covered with oiled foil (step 6). Refrigerate. Bake in preheated oven as directed, increasing bake time by 15 minutes.
Ratings and Reviews
“I served this for christmas dinner. it was excellent! made is the day before, cooked it on christmas. will definitely make again.”
“Very creamy. definitely comfort food. my vegetarian daughter did think the butternut squash was a little on the sweet side - however in a house where leftovers tend to stay in the fridge, the leftovers for this lasagne lasted less than a day! will definitely make again! side note, i used fresh mozzarella pearls - no need to grate and the flavor profile was a little like gruyere. really nice with the squash!”