Fruits De Mer Platter Recipe
Fruits De Mer Platter
Serves 8 as an appetizer, 4 for dinner
Fruits de Mer is French for stunning chilled seafood (or Chilled Seafood Platter). Of course it literally means Fruits of the Sea, but we interpret it as a stylish way to serve seafood over the holidays - à la française. A bed of salt enables even the novice to combine your favorites from our poke bar with freshly poached prawns, crab legs, smoked salmon and oysters into a photo-ready meal. Quickly steam some clams or mussels at home and arrange it on a platter.
- You’ll need:
- a large (about 16”) platter with edges, 1 box Morton’s Ice Cream Salt and a square of plastic wrap, small tongs
- Ingredients that are ready-to-serve:
- 1 box (about 7c) Morton Ice Cream Salt
- 8 oz (1 bowl) poke salad of your choice from Poke Bar
- Small bowl of seaweed salad from Poke Bar
- 4 crab leg pieces, cut in half lengthwise into 3-inch lengths
- 8 -12 oysters in shell
- Lemon, halved or cut into wedges (limes optional)
- 8 oz Metropolitan Market poached prawns
- 8 oz hot-smoked salmon, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 oz lox slices topped with 2 Tbsp capers
- Ingredients to prepare at home:
- 8 oz clams or mussels or some of each
- 1 package fresh dill to use as garnish
- To prepare:
- This can be done early in the day IF the platter will fit in your refrigerator. If not, assemble no more than 1 hour before serving.
- 1. Pour the salt on the platter, smooth flat and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. The salt provides a bed to hold everything in place as you don’t want the seafood to touch the salt directly. You can also use lettuce leaves or small bowls to keep the food off the salt.
- 2. Arrange the poke, seaweed salad, lox and anything else that requires a bowl on the platter.
- 3. Tuck in the crab legs and prawns.
- 4. No more than an hour before serving, steam the clams or mussels* and shuck or open the oysters and nestle them into the plastic covered salt so they don’t spill their juices.
- 5. Tuck in the lemons and sprigs of dill then sit back and admire your work. Provide tongs or forks on the platter for guests to use.
- 6. Serve this with your favorite sauces. It can be an elegant appetizer or serve it for dinner with a loaf of bread, butter, and a small green salad or soup. We suggest small plates, bowls, and forks so your guests can help themselves and discard their shells.
- *To steam the mussels and clams:
- Rinse clams and mussels then pull off the fibrous ‘beard’ from each mussel. Place them in a pan with 1/2-inch of water, cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until they open.