- Recipe for Crust
- 6 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 (12 oz) jar Metropolitan Market cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 Tbsp butter, diced in small pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp sparkling or granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the sliced apples and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cranberry sauce, sugar, flour, salt, and spices. Pour the mixture over the apples and stir gently to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to a 13" circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate; trim the edges so they overlap the rim of the pan by one inch.
- Spoon the apple filling into the pan. Dot the top with the diced butter.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to an 11" circle. Cut decorative vent holes. Carefully place the pastry over the apples.
- Fold the overhanging bottom crust up and over the top crust, pinching to seal the two. Flute the edges of the pie, then place it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm up the crust.
- Brush the pie crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the pie for 20 minutes at 425°F, then reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 35 to 40 minutes more, until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden; check crust halfway through baking and cover edges with foil or a pie shield if browning too quickly.
- Cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.