- 3 lb garnet yams or sweet potatoes
- 3 mild or medium green chiles such as Hatch, Anaheim or poblano
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk or apple cider
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in their skins until very tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, core and thinly slice chile peppers. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add butter. Once melted, add peppers, season with salt and pepper and sauté until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, cool slightly then scoop from skins into a mixing bowl. Stir or mash until smooth.
- Add milk, cumin, cinnamon, and half the peppers. Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Scoop into microwaveable serving dish, top with remaining peppers. (Cover and chill for up to one day.)
- To serve, warm in a 300°F oven for 30 minutes or microwave for about 5 minutes until hot through, sprinkle with pepitas and cheese and serve.