Peruvian-Style Chicken with Spicy Green Mayonnaise and Pickled Onions Recipe
Peruvian-Style Chicken with Spicy Green Mayonnaise and Pickled Onions
For maximum flavor, marinate the chicken overnight—but if you're short on time, a couple of hours is fine. Try this zesty marinade on individual pieces of chicken, too.
- 1 whole chicken (about 5 pounds), spatchcocked (See Cook's Tip)
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, mint, or basil leaves
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Spicy Green Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine all marinade ingredients in blender or food processor. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of container once or twice.
- Rub half the marinade under skin of chicken, coating breast, leg, and thigh meat. Spread remaining marinade on top of skin. Marinate at room temperature 2 hours or in refrigerator up to 24 hours.
- For mayonnaise, combine all ingredients in clean blender. Puree until smooth. Spoon into a bowl; cover and chill until serving time.
- For pickled red onions, combine onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and honey in a bowl. Stir to blend. Set aside 15 to 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Once hot, lower heat to medium or set up for indirect heat. Grill chicken, breast side down, covered, and with vent open. Cook until nicely charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Flip; cook 30 minutes more. Flip again; grill until internal temperature reaches 165°F in thickest part of breast, checking every five minutes. (For oven instructions, see Cook's Tips.)
- Let chicken rest at room temperature 15 minutes before carving. Serve warm with spicy green mayonnaise and pickled red onions.
- Cook's Tips:
- Ask one of our expert butchers to remove the backbone and flatten (spatchcock) chicken for you. Spatchcocking the bird helps it cook more quickly and evenly.
- To roast chicken, preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken, breast side up, in large, cast iron skillet, rimmed baking sheet, or roasting pan. Roast 45 to 60 minutes or until a probe thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast reads 165°F. If needed, cover chicken with foil after 20 to 30 minutes to prevent over-browning. Continue with step 6.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 69 g
Cholesterol: 200 mg
Sodium: 1770 mg
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 2 g
Protein: 50 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.