Milk Barfi Recipe
Barfi, or burfi, is a popular Indian confection often prepared for special occasions. Its name means “snow” and refers to its color and texture. Barfi has a fudge-like consistency and comes in a variety of flavors. The addition of chopped pistachios in this version adds a bit of saltiness and crunch.
- 1/3 cup ghee or butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups milk powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup roasted and salted pistachios, chopped
- Edible dried rose petals
- Grease an 8x8-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium-low heat, add ghee and milk. Stir slowly and constantly until ghee is melted and milk begins to steam.
- Reduce heat to low. While constantly stirring, add milk powder, a little at a time, to prevent lumps. Slowly stir in sugar. Cook and stir for 10 minutes. Take out a piece of the mixture and allow it to sit for a minute. If you are able to roll it into a ball, the mixture is done. If not, continue cooking and stirring a minute or two longer.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top with the back of a silicone spatula. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and rose petals, if desired.
- Allow to fully cool and set, about 2 hours. Cut as desired and serve. Store in an airtight container for 5 days or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 30 servings)
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 55 mg
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Fiber: 0 g
Total Sugar: 10 g
Added Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 4 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.