Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup shallot or onion, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche or heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh thyme leaves, sliced chives, or basil (optional)
- Cut tips from asparagus. If asparagus is thick, slice each tip in half lengthwise so they won’t sink in the soup after cooking. Blanch tips in boiling, salted water for 1 minute, until tender-crisp. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking; drain again.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add shallot and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent. Add cut asparagus and broth. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender until very smooth. Or whirl in a blender until smooth (be careful when puréeing hot soup, work in batches and secure the lid covered with towel). Stir crème fraiche into soup, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with asparagus tips and herbs, if desired.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 67 servings)
Fat: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Sodium: 140 mg
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Protein: 6 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Great soup, easy to make - glad i tried it. i cooked it down a bit before i added heavy cream. plus i doubled cream to 1 cup. sorry i wanted it creamier ”