How to Cook Asparagus Recipe
How to Cook Asparagus
Fresh, local asparagus may be THE most anticipated spring veggie. Here are tips for prepping and cooking this beautiful, versatile veg. You can use it raw, too. Peel the stalks, shave into ribbons, and toss with your favorite salad dressing.
- Select spears that are brightly colored and have compact, tightly closed tips.
- To keep asparagus fresh for a few days, trim the ends and place stalks upright in a container with about an inch of water, like a bouquet of flowers, and refrigerate. Trim the ends again before cooking.
- Snap or cut off the woody bottom inch or two from each stalk and discard. Thin asparagus generally does not need to be peeled. Peel fatter stalks (1/2-inch diameter or larger) with a vegetable peeler to remove the tough, stringy exterior, leaving the lighter green and white part of the stems.
- Bring a large skillet filled with two inches of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and simmer just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes depending on thickness. Transfer to an ice-water bath to stop the cooking and preserve the color.
- Asparagus can be steamed in a covered pan on a steamer basket over an inch or so of boiling water. Steam for 3 to 6 minutes, depending on thickness, until bright green and tender. Transfer to an ice-water bath to stop the cooking and preserve the color.
- Thicker spears work best for roasting. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat asparagus with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper and roast until tender, about 10 minutes, depending on the size. Delicious drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar or lemon juice before serving.
- Brush asparagus with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a hot grill, turning occasionally with tongs, 5 to 8 minutes or until nicely charred and tender.
- Cut asparagus into bite-size pieces and sauté in a hot skillet with your favorite oil, stirring often until crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper or other seasonings, as desired.