Cream Scones, Shortcake, or Biscuits Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, more for sprinkling on top
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, more for brushing on top
- Add the zest of 1 orange and 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries to dry ingredients.
- GINGER & CURRANT:
- Add 2 tsp dry ginger and 1/4 cup currants to dry ingredients.
- CHERRY & ALMOND:
- Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries and 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds to dry ingredients. Add 1 teaspoon almond extract with cream.
- BACON, CHEDDAR, & CHIVE:
- Add 1/2 cup chopped, cooked Metropolitan Market bacon, 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup snipped chives to dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Slowly stir in 1–1/2 cups cream to make rough, soft dough; add more cream if needed. Do not over-mix.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead two or three times, just till dough comes together. Divide dough into two pieces. Pat each into a 6-inch circle, 1/2-inch thick. Cut each into 4 to 6 wedges.
- Place wedges, about 1 inch apart, on prepared baking sheet. Brush with additional cream and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar, if desired. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and baked through. Serve warm or cool.
- Variations and Serving Suggestion :
- FUN SHAPES : Pat dough into a rectangle, 1/2-inch thick. Use lightly floured cookie cutters to cut into shapes. Bake as directed.
- TO SERVE AS A SHORTCAKE: Split scones in half, lengthwise. Place bottom half of scone on a plate. Top with sweetened sliced berries or stone fruit and whipped cream or ice cream. Cover with top half of scone.