Olive Oil Cake Recipe
Olive Oil Cake
This light, simple cake has a wonderful depth of flavor and it's not too sweet, making it perfect to serve both with coffee for an afternoon break or with a liqueur for dessert. After you master the basic recipe, experiment with different flavor combinations in place of the orange zest, like lemon zest with pistachios or orange zest with chopped rosemary.
- Butter and flour, for pan
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- Zest of 3 oranges
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Garnishes (optional):
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 orange, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9x13 inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until blended. Add olive oil, milk, and orange zest; mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to egg mixture; stirring just until blended. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Loosen sides of cake with a knife and invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Dust cake with confectioners' sugar and cut into 8 slices. Garnish individual servings with fresh orange slices, if desired.
- COOK’S TIP:
- Lemon Pistachio Cake: Add the zest of 1 lemon and 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios.
- Orange Rosemary Cake: Add the zest of 1 orange and 1 tsp of finely chopped fresh rosemary.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 8 servings)
Fat: 31 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 220 mg
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 39 g
Protein: 6 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.