Peach & Blueberry Shortcake Recipe
Peach & Blueberry Shortcake
Serves 4 to 6
Perfect fruit makes the ultimate topping for a shortcake all summer long. Top with whipped cream or ice cream.
- 2 lb ripe peaches
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the fruit
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 6 prepared biscuits, scones or shortcakes, (see below)
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped or vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut in small pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles very coarse meal. Stir in the milk until a very soft dough forms. Do not overwork the dough!
- Drop the dough in to 6 equal portions onto the prepared baking sheet. Lightly pat each portion into a disk and lightly brush tops of disks with cream.
- Bake biscuits in the center of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place peaches in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove and transfer to ice water to cool. Peel the skin off, pit and dice peaches into one-inch pieces.
- Combine peaches and blueberries with the sugar and lemon juice.
- To assemble, warm the shortcakes in a toaster or oven if desired. Cut them in half horizontally, lay on a plate, and top with the fruit mixture. If desired, top the biscuits with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 33 g
Saturated Fat: 21 g
Cholesterol: 95 mg
Sodium: 600 mg
Carbohydrates: 59 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 25 g
Protein: 8 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.