Gruyere Gougere (French Appetizer Puffs) Recipe
Gruyere Gougere (French Appetizer Puffs)
This may be the perfect bite to go with a favorite cocktail or champagne toast. It is like a savory cream puff.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- A pinch or two of ground cayenne pepper, nutmeg or white pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded gruyere, Swiss, sharp cheddar, or other flavorful semi-hard cheese (plus 1/2 cup shredded cheese for topping)
- Arrange one oven rack to upper third position of oven and another to lower third position. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil. (Oil foil if using.)
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine water, butter, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add flour, all at once, and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Beat in one egg at a time, making sure each egg is thoroughly incorporated before adding another. (Or, transfer dough to bowl of an electric stand mixer or food processor and beat in eggs, one at a time.) Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip. Or, spoon dough into a large food-safe plastic bag and cut across one corner of the bag to make a 1/2-inch opening.
- Pipe about 1 Tbsp portions of dough into small mounds about 2-inches apart on baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, switching position of sheets in oven halfway through baking, until gougere are puffed and golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. If made ahead, wrap in foil and reheat in 350°F oven for 10 minutes or till warm. Makes about 40.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 10 servings)
Fat: 17 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 115 mg
Sodium: 200 mg
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 0 g
Protein: 9 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Super easy to make and delicious! it's great frozen as well. ”
“Wonderful recipe as usual. i would really love to be able to print your recipes with the picture as well, as i do print and keep them in a binder. thanks for sharing all of these charms!”
“This recipe is exactly what i was looking for...entertaining out of town family. ”