Turkey Gravy Recipe
Makes 12 (1/4 Cup) Servings
This classic turkey gravy uses the pan drippings from your cooked turkey to add roasted flavor to the gravy. Use purchased turkey stock or make your own with the raw giblets (see Cook’s Tip).
- 3 Tbsp butter or fat skimmed from roasted turkey
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups turkey stock (optional: make your own stock, see below)
- Salt and pepper
- After roasting your turkey, remove it along with roasting rack from the roasting pan. Pour drippings through a sieve into a 4-cup measuring cup.
- Add 1 cup turkey broth to the roasting pan and stir until the crusty brown bits are loosened; pour the deglazed liquid through the sieve into the 4-cup measure. Let stand a few minutes, until the fat rises to the top. If desired, skim off 3 Tbsp fat to use in place of butter for step 4.
- Skim off remaining fat from top of liquid and discard. Add enough turkey stock to the cup to measure 3 1/2 cups.
- Put 3 Tbsp butter or reserved fat in a 2-quart saucepan. Place over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, until the flour turns light golden. Gradually whisk in 2/3 of the turkey stock mixture into saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened and smooth. Adjust thickness by adding remaining 1/3 stock if desired. Add chopped giblets, if saved, and continue to stir until heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm in a small heated pitcher or gravy boat.
- MAKE YOUR OWN TURKEY STOCK (OPTIONAL): Put the giblets (neck, heart, and gizzard; reserve the liver to add later) from your turkey in a 3-quart saucepan. Add 1 sliced carrot, 1 sliced onion, 1 sliced celery rib, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add enough water to cover vegetables. Cover with lid. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer gently 45 minutes. Add liver, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Strain broth into a bowl, reserving giblets for gravy if desired. Cover and chill broth. Coarsely chop giblets. Place in a covered container and chill. Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 1214 servings)
Fat: 50 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 65 mg
Carbohydrates: 1 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 0 g
Protein: 4 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.