Spinach & Bacon Breakfast Strata Recipe
- 5 slices Metropolitan Market Bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 8 oz (about 7, 1/2-inch thick slices) Metropolitan Market Farmhouse White Bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup shallot or onion, chopped
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 6 oz (1 1/2 cups) shredded gruyere or Zola cheese, divided
- 6 Metropolitan Market Organic or U-Pick Eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Place bread on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until dry.
- While bread dries, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To the same skillet, add shallot and cook over medium heat, stirring often until translucent. Stir in spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- To assemble strata, place bread cubes in a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Add vegetables, bacon and 1 cup cheese. Toss to incorporate.
- Whisk eggs, half and half, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until blended. Pour over strata and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove strata from refrigerator and let stand for 15 minutes while preheating oven to 325°F. Uncover strata and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until strata puffs, is golden brown and set in the center. Transfer to wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Recipe Variations:
- Replace spinach with 1 pound of trimmed asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces or 12 ounces sliced mushrooms. Add 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary leaves while cooking vegetables.