Summer Berry Shortcake Recipe
Summer Berry Shortcake
A rich cream biscuit makes the perfect shortcake to soak up all the berry juices. If you’re short on time, the Metropolitan Market bakery has fresh-baked shortcakes available, no one will know!
- 3 pints fresh berries such as strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, more for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups heavy whipping cream, more for brushing on top
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- If using strawberries, remove and discard stems. Halve or slice. In a large bowl combine berries with 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside, tossing occasionally. Or, cover and chill until serving time.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl with the cream, whip to soft peaks; cover and refrigerate.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Slowly stir in 1-1/2 cups cream to form a shaggy, soft dough; adding a little more cream if needed to hold the dough together. Do not overmix.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead two or three times, just until dough comes together. Gently roll or press dough into 1-inch thickness. With 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut into 6 circles.
- Place circles, about 1-inch apart, on prepared baking sheet. Brush with additional cream and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and baked through. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, split shortcakes in half lengthwise. Place bottom halves on dessert plates. Top each with a dollop of whipped cream, berries, and a little more cream, followed by the top of each shortcake.
- Cook’s Note:
- For special occasions, really take this dessert over the top by drizzling a little homemade strawberry sauce over the berries and cream.
Ratings and Reviews
“Perfect to have with your favorite summer fruit, or even butter and jam for breakfast.”