How To Whip Cream Recipe
- 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar), more to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Chill a tall narrow bowl and beaters in the freezer with ice water before starting. Empty and dry.
- In chilled mixing bowl with chilled beaters, whip cream on medium-high speed to soft peaks. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. For stiffer whipped cream, continue to beat until cream holds in peaks when beater is lifted. (Do not overbeat or you will make butter!)
- Serve immediately or cover and chill. If made a day ahead and separation occurs, see the last Cook’s Tip below or whisk gently to reincorporate liquid before serving.
- Cook’s Tips:
- OTHER FLAVORS: Replace vanilla with a couple of drops of another flavored extract such as coffee, orange, or almond.
- GINGER: Stir in 2 Tbsp chopped candied (crystallized) ginger.
- CINNAMON: Add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- BRANDY WHIPPED CREAM: Replace vanilla with 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp brandy.
- USE STABILIZER: Another option is to use Dr. Oetker’s “Whip It” found in the baking section of the market. Follow package instructions for use. It makes whipped cream more stable so it holds its shape longer.
Ratings and Reviews
“Easy, classic and super fresh. ty for having the recipe, i've forgotten how easy it is to make real whipped cream, plus making 3 diff flavors in 3 diff colors for the kids was an extra fun touch!”