Squash Latkes with Cilantro Gremolata Recipe
Squash Latkes with Cilantro Gremolata
Delicata squash replace traditional potatoes in these tasty latkes. Zesty cilantro gremolata adds a touch of color and vibrant flavor.
- 2 delicata squash (about 1.5 lbs total)
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup cilantro (about one bunch)
- 2 scallions
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Shred on large holes of a box grater (no need to remove peel). Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tsp kosher salt. Let rest for ten minutes while you prepare gremolata.
- Remove lower stems of cilantro and finely chop the rest. Slice green and white parts of scallions. In a small bowl, toss cilantro, scallions, olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Set aside.
- Drain any excess moisture from squash. Sprinkle with tapioca starch, and mix until coated. Add beaten egg and combine thoroughly.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop squash mixture, pack tightly, and allow any extra moisture to drain before carefully placing into hot oil. Gently press flat with a spatula. Do not overcrowd pan. Working in batches, fry for about 90 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Add more oil as needed.
- Drain fried latkes on a rack and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately with gremolata.
- Cook’s Tip
- These latkes can also be made in an air fryer. Spray latkes lightly with oil before air frying.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Total Fat: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 980 mg
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fiber: 4 g
Total Sugar: 7 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 5 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.