Classic Sage and Onion Stuffing Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter or olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (11 oz.) bag Metropolitan Market Classic Holiday Stuffing Mix*
- Seasoning Packet (included in Stuffing Mix)*
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- YUMMY ADDITIONS:
- Stir in 1 cup browned, crumbled sausage with broth
- Add 2 cups sliced or chopped mushrooms along with celery
- Add 2 cups diced, peeled apples along with celery
- DRIED FRUIT:
- Stir in 1 cup or more dried cranberries, dried cherries or diced dried apricots
- Sprinkle 1 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts, pecans or almonds on top of casserole before baking
- *Instead of Metropolitan Market Stuffing Mix you can use 10 - 12 cups dry bread cubes and season with a blend of 1 Tbsp dry sage, 1 tsp dry rosemary,1 tsp dry thyme and 1 tsp dry parsley. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Heat butter or oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until soft.
- Stir in Seasoning Packet, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in Stuffing Mix and broth. Mix, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into buttered 9x13-inch baking dish. Dot with extra butter, as desired. Cover with foil. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot; uncover and bake for 5 minutes or until brown.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (Does not include optional items such as sausage)
Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 280 mg
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 3 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.