Mushroom Ragù with Ndjua and Polenta Recipe
Mushroom Ragù with Ndjua and Polenta
Serves 4 to 6 as an entrée and 8 to 10 as a side
Spicy Calabrian nduja sausage, red wine, and mushrooms lend rich umami flavors to this dish. Using prepared polenta helps it to come together easily. Serve as a side or as an entrée.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 2 pounds assorted mushrooms, halved or quartered to same-size pieces
- 2 shallots, minced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces nduja or 8 ounces spicy Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 24 ounces prepared polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 3 slices prosciutto, crisped and crumbled (See Cook's Tips)
- 6 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook mushrooms 5 to 6 minutes, undisturbed. Once browned, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté shallot and garlic until soft. Add nduja and sauté, breaking into small pieces, until cooked through. Stir in mushrooms and red wine. Simmer until wine reduces by half. Add broth and simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat. Stir in balsamic, pepper, and salt, if needed.
- Arrange polenta slices on top of ragù. Brush 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil on polenta. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until polenta is hot and golden, sprinkling half the cheese over polenta during last 5 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with more parmesan or breadcrumbs, prosciutto, and basil.
- Cook's Tips:
- To crisp prosciutto, place slices on a baking sheet in preheated 375°F oven 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp; check every couple of minutes. Breadcrumbs can be toasted on sheet pan at the same time.
- Do-ahead note: The ragù can be prepared ahead through step 3. Cover with foil and chill. When ready to bake, continue with step 4, adding 10 to 15 minutes to baking time.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Total Fat: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 1020 mg
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Fiber: 3 g
Total Sugar: 11 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 18 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“This was fantastic! i used a mix of portobello, cremini and oyster mushrooms. i made it dairy-free due to allergy. next time i’ll slice the polenta thinner so i get more coverage.”