Shaved Kohlrabi, Apple, and Date Salad Recipe
Shaved Kohlrabi, Apple, and Date Salad
This unique salad is a fresh, crunchy addition to your holiday table. Pick up a mandoline in the Metropolitan Market Kitchen Shop—this useful tool makes it super easy to cut thin, even slices of firm fruits and vegetables.
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks
- 1 crisp apple, peeled, halved, cored,and thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks (see Cook’s Tip)
- 2 - 3 cups fresh watercress or arugula
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1/3 cup candied pecans or other nuts
- 2 - 3 Tbsp torn fresh mint leaves
- In the bottom of a shallow salad bowl, whisk together lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and 3 Tbsp olive oil. Add onion and dates; toss to coat. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes, while slicing the kohlrabi and apple.
- Just before serving, add kohlrabi, apple, and watercress to salad bowl. Toss gently. Taste and season with salt and Aleppo pepper, as desired. Sprinkle with nuts and mint.
- Cook’s Tip:
- You can slice the apple and kohlrabi ahead of time; place them in a bowl with salted water. When ready to serve, drain and pat dry before tossing with the salad.
- Tags: holiday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, fall, winter, vegetable, vegetarian, salad, side dish