Heirloom Tomato and Avocado “Ceviche” with Crab Cakes Recipe
Heirloom Tomato and Avocado “Ceviche” with Crab Cakes
Beautifully hued, full-flavored heirloom tomatoes pair perfectly with our made-in-house Dungeness crab cakes in this recipe that’s ideal for an easy-yet-elegant, late-summer meal. Find the crab cakes in our seafood department.
- 3 cups cubed (about 1-inch) heirloom tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped white or red onion
- 1 - 2 serrano peppers, seeded, deveined, and finely chopped
- 1 - 2Tbsp lime juice
- 1 small avocado, cubed
- 4 Metropolitan Market Dungeness Crab Cakes or 12 mini, appetizer-sized crab cakes
- 1 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Spicy mayonnaise (see Cook’s Tip)
- In a bowl, combine cubed tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss gently. Stir in cilantro, onion, serrano pepper, and lime juice. Set aside and allow to rest for 10 minutes while cooking crab cakes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Swirl oil into pan. Add crab cakes and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Cool slightly.
- To serve, add avocado to tomato mixture and toss gently. Taste and add more salt, as needed. Spoon into four small shallow dishes. Place crab cakes in dishes alongside “ceviche.” Serve with spicy mayonnaise.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Purchase a flavored mayonnaise for drizzling or make your own: Mix 1/2 cup of your favorite mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon of lime juice and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce. Adjust ingredients to your taste.