Ham Banh Mi Recipe
Ham Banh Mi
Serves 1 - 2
This Vietnamese sandwich gets a holiday makeover with our delicious Metropolitan Market Kurobuta ham. The ham combined with rich pâté, pickled veggies, and spicy jalapeño will awaken all of your senses. If you want to skip making the pickled veg-gies, grab a jar of Ying Yang Carrots from the refrigerated section.
- Daikon Carrot Pickles:
- 3/4 lb daikon, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips, about 3 inches long
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips,about 3 inches long
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 Metropolitan Market baguette loaf (approximately 7 inches) or other French roll (about 7 oz)
- Mayonnaise (regular or Sriracha-flavored) or substitute butter or mashed avocado
- Maggi seasoning sauce or liquid aminos, optional
- 1 - 2 oz pork-pistachio or other variety of pâté from the Metropolitan Market Deli, optional
- 2 oz thinly sliced Metropolitan Market Kurobuta ham
- 4 - 5 thin slices English cucumber
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 - 4 strips green onion or sliced red onion
- Fresh sprigs of cilantro, Asian basil, and/or mint
- Make Daikon-Carrot Pickles: Place daikon and carrot strips in a bowl. Toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside for 20 minutes, until liquid is released from vegeta-bles. Drain vegetables and discard liquid. Pat dry on a clean towel. In a large jar or other container with lid, combine vinegar, water, and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar. Place daikon and carrot in vinegar mixture. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until serving time.
- To make the banh mi, heat baguette in a 350°F oven for 3-4 minutes or until crisp. Slice lengthwise, almost through to the other side, so you can open the baguette like a book. Pull out some soft bread inside the loaf to make room for the filling and save breadcrumbs for another use.
- Spread 1-2 Tbsp mayonnaise on both sides bread. Sprinkle with liquid aminos or Maggi seasoning. Add a thin layer of pâté, if using, followed by ham. Drain a few strips of pickled daikon and carrot and place on ham. Add cucumber, jala-peño, onion, and herbs. Close sandwich. Cut in half crosswise.
- Cook’s Tips:
- Use leftover Daikon Carrot Pickles as a condiment to brighten other favorite sand-wiches, stews, and salads.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 2 servings)
Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 1140 mg
Carbohydrates: 49 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 3 g
Protein: 15 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.