Balsamic-Roasted Onions Recipe
- 3 large or 4 medium yellow onions, peeled, ends trimmed and cut in half crosswise (through the equator)
- 4 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided use
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Balsamic Vinegar
- Chopped fresh thyme, marjoram, or other soft herb
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Heat a large (12-inch) cast iron skillet or other oven-proof skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add 3 Tbsp olive oil or enough to generously coat bottom of pan.
- Place onion halves in pan, cut side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until cut sides are browned. With a spatula, carefully flip onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Add 2 Tbsp water to bottom of pan.
- With oven mitts, carefully transfer skillet to oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with fresh herbs and another drizzle of balsamic vinegar, if you like.
- Cook’s Tip:
- To oven-roast in a baking dish: Preheat oven to 400° F. Cover a shallow casserole dish with 3 Tbsp olive oil. Add onion halves, cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Add 2 Tbsp water to bottom of pan. Cover tightly with foil. Roast for 30 minutes or until onions are soft. Uncover and return to oven and roast for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and serve as directed in step 4.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 8 servings)
Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 0 mg
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 5 g
Protein: 1 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.