Tamarind Eggplant Recipe
Serves 4 as a side dish
This delicious plant-based dish is an excellent addition to a mezze menu. Tamarind adds a tangy flavor that balances the Aleppo pepper for a flavorful glaze.
- 1 1/2 lb eggplant (2 small to medium)
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves (1 tsp) garlic cloves, minced fine or pressed
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch wedges. Cut crisscross, diagonal hash marks in the flesh, about 1/8-inch deep. Place on parchment-lined sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes, flip, and roast another 10 minutes or until eggplant is soft and browned.
- While eggplant roasts, mix tamarind paste, lemon juice, garlic, Aleppo pepper, honey, 2 tsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and a dash of black pepper. If it seems too thick, stir in a splash of water.
- Brush tamarind mixture on browned eggplant. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until hot and glazed.
- Cool eggplant for a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a platter and garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 490 mg
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Fiber: 5 g
Total Sugar: 8 g
Added Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 2 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.