Cauliflower Mac 'n Cheese (with Dairy and Non-Dairy Options) Recipe
Cauliflower Mac 'n Cheese (with Dairy and Non-Dairy Options)
- 1/4 cup Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large head cauliflower, about 2 1/2 lbs, cut into small florets and divided into two bowls
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups half and half, unsweetened non-dairy milk, or vegetable stock
- 8 oz (2 cups) Beecher’s Flagship (or shredded sharp white cheddar cheese or your favorite non-dairy cheese)
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 8 oz (1/2 box) Metropolitan Market Macaroni
- Hazelnut Picada (topping):
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil. Brush with 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Place garlic on one corner of foil-lined sheet. Spread half the cauliflower and all the celery on baking sheet, spacing them apart. Brush with 2-3 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Fold corner of foil over garlic to shield from direct heat and prevent browning during roasting.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft but not browned. Place roasted vegetables in a blender or food processor and allow to cool while continuing with the next step.
- Place remaining half of cauliflower on the warm sheet pan. Brush with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Return to oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F and begin boiling water for macaroni.
- While roasting the second half of the cauliflower, carefully add half and half to the cooled vegetables in the blender or food processor. Cover and process until creamy and very smooth. Pour into oiled 2 1/2-quart casserole dish. Stir in Beecher’s flagship (or cheddar) and parmesan cheeses. Add browned cauliflower from reserved baking sheet and toss with additional salt and pepper to taste (see Cook’s Tips).
- Cook pasta as package directs, reducing cooking time by one-half. Drain well. (Do not rinse.) Stir pasta into cauliflower sauce and toss to coat.
- Combine topping ingredients in small bowl. Sprinkle over pasta. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until heated through and topping is golden brown. Serve warm.
- Cook’s Tip:
- If making a dairy-free version of this dish, boost the flavor of the sauce with 1/2 to 1 tsp of nutritional yeast or white miso.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Fat: 63 g
Saturated Fat: 24 g
Cholesterol: 100 mg
Sodium: 1060 mg
Carbohydrates: 67 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 10 g
Protein: 32 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Always a hit with both the adults and kids at our house. ”