Filipino-Style Coconut Broth Recipe
Filipino-Style Coconut Broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated, peeled, fresh ginger root
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut water
- 3 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and bruised (see Cook's Tips)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Thinly sliced serrano pepper
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and ginger. Sauté until onion is soft. Stir in coconut water, lemongrass, soy sauce, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Simmer 10 to 20 minutes.
- Pour broth through a fine-mesh strainer. Return strained broth to pan and reheat as needed with sliced serrano pepper, if desired. Add more soy sauce or salt, to taste. Serve warm with a squeeze of lime.
- Cook’s Tips:
- To prepare lemongrass: Cut off green tops of lemongrass (about 3 inches), and trim off bottoms. Remove any hard, outer layers. Use the side of a large knife or meat pounder to smash stalks in order to bruise and soften them.
- Make it a meal: To strained broth, add 1 small peeled, diced sweet potato, 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths, and 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes. Partially cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 cups baby spinach. Add salt or soy sauce, sliced serrano pepper, and a squeeze of lime, as desired.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 4 servings)
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 310 mg
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Fiber: 1 g
Total Sugar: 11 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 1 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.