Lemon-Almond Polenta Skillet Cake Recipe
Lemon-Almond Polenta Skillet Cake
This simple cake is a cross between a traditional Torta de Santiago from Spain and a classic polenta cake. The polenta adds not only a delicious corn flavor but also a little crunch and texture. Serve it with our Rhubarb Compote and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 1 3/4 cups fine almond flour (from blanched almonds)
- 1/3 cup polenta
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest (from 2 large lemons)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp butter, shortening, or oil for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a blender, pulse the polenta a couple of times to get a medium-coarse texture. Transfer to a bowl and keep the blender handy.
- Combine polenta, almond flour, baking powder, and salt; stir to blend well.
- Place 9-inch cast iron skillet (or see Cook's Tip for baking in a springform pan) in oven for 10 minutes while mixing batter, step 5.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the blender and mix at medium speed for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly combined and pale in color. Add vanilla, lemon juice, and zest; pulse until combined.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Remove skillet from oven. Add 1 Tbsp butter and, using an oven mitt, carefully tilt pan to coat side and bottom. Spread batter in pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and cake tester or thin skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve with Rhubarb Compote and whipped cream, if you like.
- Cook’s Tips:
- To use a 9-inch springform pan, grease bottom and side of pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Do not preheat pan (Step 3). Bake as directed and remove to a wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then remove side of pan and cool completely.
- We like polenta for a little crunch in this cake—you can substitute cornmeal, which is finer, for a more delicate texture.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 8 servings)
Total Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 95 mg
Sodium: 160 mg
Carbohydrates: 39 g
Fiber: 2 g
Total Sugar: 27 g
Added Sugars: 25 g
Protein: 11 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Fantastic! i love the bright lemon flavor in combination with the slightly crunchy texture. it's unique, very moist, and not as sweet as typical cakes. i baked professionally for a spell, and would have put this on the menu.”
“This was way too sweet for me. not sure i"d make it again, even with less sugar.”