Albondigas de Pavo en Salsa Verde (Turkey Meatballs with Tomatillos and Cilantro) Recipe
Albondigas de Pavo en Salsa Verde (Turkey Meatballs with Tomatillos and Cilantro)
In traditional albondigas with salsa verde, all the salsa ingredients are pureed together, then the meatballs are fried and cooked in the sauce. Our version adds most of the salsa ingredients to the meatball mixture itself, enhancing the flavor and texture from within. Not only is this dish easy to make, it freezes well — so make a big batch and save it for a busy day.
- 1 1/4 lb tomatillos (about 12), husked and quartered
- 2 tsp Kosher salt,divided (or 1 tsp table salt)
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large egg, optional (See Cook’s Tip)
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 serrano pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup panko or ground oats
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- To serve:
- cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil a large, about 9 x 13 inch, baking dish.
- Place tomatillo quarters in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Break egg, if using, into a medium bowl. Add 1 tsp salt. Whisk to blend. (If not using egg, start with adding salt to bowl.) Stir in onion, garlic, serrano, and panko. Add turkey and mix until blended.
- Form into meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter. Spread chopped cilantro on a plate. Roll meatballs in cilantro and nestle in baking dish on tomatillos. Cover with lid or oiled foil.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve warm, with rice.
- Cook’s Tip:
- For firmer meatballs, use an egg. Leave it out for more delicate meatballs.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Fat: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
Cholesterol: 100 mg
Sodium: 470 mg
Carbohydrates: 5 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 31 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“Delicious—whole family loves it! no tomatillos at the store i went to (not met market) so i used a tomatillo-heavy salsa as the baking sauce. yum!”