Holiday Turkey Hash Recipe
Holiday Turkey Hash
Classic hash was created as a way to use boiled beef dinner leftovers. We took the same approach with Thanksgiving leftovers to create this holiday version. Add sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, other root vegetables, Metropolitan Market bacon, and leftover turkey. For a heartier meal, top it all with a poached egg.
- 4 slices Metropolitan Market bacon
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil, vegetable oil or butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced (1/2-inch) potatoes, about 1/2 lb., Yukon Gold, or peeled russet
- 1 1/2 cups diced (1/2-inch) sweet potatoes or yams, about 1/2 lb
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup cooked Brussels sprouts, coarsely chopped or other cooked green vegetable (From Metropolitan Market deli)
- 2 cups shredded, cooked turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 Metropolitan Market Organic eggs, poached or fried
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced green onion
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, turning once, until crisp. Remove from heat. Drain bacon on a paper-towel lined plate. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp bacon fat in pan.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil and potatoes to pan and return to medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to take on some color, about 10 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onion is transluscent. Stir in garlic. Add 2 Tbsp water, cover and cook for 2 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; add turkey, Brussels sprouts, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Chop bacon and stir into hash. Cook for a minute or two, stirring often, until hot. Taste and add more salt, pepper or vinegar, if needed.
- To serve, spoon hash onto 4 plates, top each with a warm cooked egg and green onion.
- Cook’s Tips:
- For a hands off preparation, toss your potatoes with 1 Tbsp of oil, place in a sheet pan and roast in a 400 oven for 10 minutes, add the bell peppers and onion, toss and roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- Herb: Add 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or sage