Strawberry Pistachio Matzo Brittle Recipe
Strawberry Pistachio Matzo Brittle
Crispy matzo crackers are topped with toffee, dark chocolate, raspberries, and toasted pistachios in this decadent dessert. Inspired by our 2022 Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest Winner, this tasty treat will have you breaking off chunks until it’s gone!
- 1/2 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- Flaky finishing salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries, lightly crushed
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) plant-based butter
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 6 sheets matzo crackers
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange matzo crackers on baking sheet in one even layer. Break pieces, as needed, to cover bottom of pan.
- In a medium, heavy-bottom sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over matzo so that it is evenly coated, spreading with an offset spatula, as needed.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake 15 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle evenly with dark chocolate. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes until chocolate melts. Use an offset spatula to spread chocolate evenly over surface.
- While chocolate is still warm, sprinkle all over with pistachios, strawberries, and flaky salt.
- Transfer baking sheet to fridge to set up, about 1 hour.
- Break into large pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Cook’s Tips:
- Play with different variations! Try a mix of dark and white chocolate for a beautiful swirl. Or, choose your favorite dried fruits and nuts as a topping.
- This recipe works equally well with dairy butter. We tried both versions and actually prefer the final texture of the plant-based option.