Marinated Flank Steak, Three Ways Recipe
Marinated Flank Steak, Three Ways
Flank steak is such an easy weeknight dinner. Choose our balsamic, Asian, or Mexican-style marinade to add variety to your repertoire. Try it with our Cauliflower-Celery Root Mash.
- 1 (1-1/2 lb.) beef Flank Steak
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil, if pan-frying
- One of the three marinades below
- Classic Metropolitan Market Balsamic Marinade:
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, parsley, or other herb
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Garnish with fresh rosemary or other herb
- Asian Fish Sauce Marinade:
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil or other oil
- 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Garnish with 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Mexican-Style Marinade:
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder or chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, sautéed peppers (see Cook's Tip)
- Mix marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place steak and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Seal bag and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil and swirl to coat the pan. Cook steak, turning once for 10 to 15 minutes total or until browned and done to your liking, adjusting heat as needed. An instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into steak will read 145°F for medium and 160°F for well done. You may cook the steak on an outdoor grill as well.
- Remove steak to a cutting board or warm platter; cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut steak across the grain into thin slices. Finish with suggested garnishes, as desired.
- Cook’s Tip:
- To make the sautéed peppers, slice 1/2 onion and 1 red bell pepper, 1 orange bell pepper, and 1 yellow bell pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet. Sauté onions until soft; add the peppers and cook until slightly soft. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings)
Protein: 23 g
Carbohydrates: 5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Net Carbohydrates: 5 g
Total Fat: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans fat: 0 g
Sodium: 430 mg
Cholesterol: 65 mg
Sugar: 5 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information, however, it is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your health care provider for specific advice on diet and health for you. Click here for more on the nutrient information of our recipes.