Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Doesn’t everyone need a recipe for limoncello, the popular Italian liqueur? Multiply the recipe so you can offer a bottle or two as gifts and keep one for yourself. Plan ahead – you’ll need a couple of weeks to develop the flavor before it’s ready to enjoy.
- 1/2 liter (about 2 cups) vodka
- 4 large lemons, preferably organic
- Simple syrup (recipe follows)
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove long strips of zest from the lemons, being careful to leave behind the white pith.
- Combine vodka and zest in a glass bottle or jar. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 2 weeks.
- Taste and add enough simple syrup to reach your desired level of sweetness. Strain into a clean, decorative glass bottle; discard zest. Seal bottles and store in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Serve ice cold in vodka or shot glasses.
- Simple Syrup:
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use to sweeten limoncello and chill leftover syrup for making other cocktails. Makes about 2 1/4 cups.