Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Carrot Top Pesto Recipe
Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Carrot Top Pesto
The combination of a crisp exterior with a creamy interior make these potatoes irresistible! If you want to do some of the prep work ahead of time to make dinner or entertaining easier, check out our Cook’s Tip below. We suggest serving them with our Carrot Top Pesto.
- 1 1/2 pounds small (about 1 1/2-inch diameter) red or yellow potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tsp salt, plus more to for roasting
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 3/4 cup Carrot Top Pesto or your favorite prepared pesto (optional)
- Place the potatoes in a single layer in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add water to cover potatoes 1 to 2 inches. Add salt. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a skewer or fork. Drain potatoes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- While potatoes cook, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Spread boiled and cooled potatoes in a single layer on the oiled baking sheet. With a potato masher, sturdy fork, or flat bottom of a glass, smash each potato to a 1/2-inch thickness. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt (Kosher, if you have it) and black pepper, to taste.
- Roast potatoes for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy around the edges.
- Drizzle with pesto, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Cook's Tip:
- You can boil, smash, and chill the potatoes a day ahead of serving. Then, roast them until crisp and serve while fresh and hot
Nutrition:Amount Per Serving (based on 6 servings, salt added during roasting not included)
Fat: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 330 mg
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 2 g
Protein: 4 g
We provide nutritional information for our delicious recipes to help you select foods that meet your health and lifestyle goals. Care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of recipes and information. Nutritional data is intended for educational purposes, and not for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, or cure of any medical condition. Please consult your healthcare provider for specific advice on diet and health. Click here to learn how we analyze the nutritional value of our recipes.
Ratings and Reviews
“These are excellent... perfect for entertaining or everyday meals. they’re a sure crowd pleaser. i serve a variety of pestos and aïolis for people to select. ”