Winter Orange and Olive Salad Recipe
Winter Orange and Olive Salad
The quintessential Mediterranean winter salad, when oranges are ripe and plentiful, complemented with salty cured olives. This goes beautifully with winter roasts, stews, and hearty grains. You can serve as-is or on a bed of dressed arugula, spinach, or shredded romaine.
- 4 oranges such as Cara Cara, blood or navel
- 1 cup Moroccan oil-cured olives from the Metropolitan Market Antipasti Bar
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, torn
- Peel the oranges with a paring knife. Trim off most of the white pith around each orange, being careful not to damage the fruit.
- Slice each orange crosswise into 3/8 inch thick slices.
- Arrange slices on a platter, slightly overlapping. Scatter the olives and the onions over the oranges. Sprinkle with fennel seeds and salt. Splash vinegar and drizzle olive oil over all.
- Garnish with mint to serve.