Slow Cooker Shredded Beef with Variations: Taco, BBQ, Teriyaki Recipe
- 1 (2 to 2-1/2 lbs) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: Brown the beef before slow cooking. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Brown roast on all sides.
- Place onion and garlic in 3-1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker; place roast on top. Cover and cook on LOW 9 to 10 hours or on HIGH 5 to 6 hours or until roast is fork-tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary, and reserve 1 cup onion mixture. Shred beef with 2 forks. Combine shredded beef and reserved onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Continue as directed in Recipe Variations below, as desired.
- RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- MEXICAN SHREDDED BEEF: Reheat beef with 1 cup (more to taste) tomato or tomatillo salsa. Serve in warmed flour or corn tortillas topped with more salsa, sliced avocados, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, and/or chopped white or green onions, as desired.
- BBQ SHREDDED BEEF: Reheat beef with 1 cup Met Market Barbecue Sauce (more to taste). Serve on whole wheat rolls with more barbecue sauce, coleslaw, cheddar cheese slices, chopped green bell pepper, and/or canned French fried onions, as desired.
- ASIAN SHREDDED BEEF: Reheat beef with 1 cup Met Market Teriyaki Sauce (more to taste). Serve in lettuce or cabbage cups topped with more teriyaki sauce, shredded carrots, sliced cucumber, and/or chopped fresh cilantro, as desired.