Savory Chickpea Pancakes with Avocado, Mint, and Ginger Chutney Recipe
Savory Chickpea Pancakes with Avocado, Mint, and Ginger Chutney
Makes 8 pancakes
Chickpea pancakes topped with a flavorful chutney are simple and delicious! Customize the dish by adding your favorite fresh or roasted vegetables and microgreens. Try roasting rainbow carrots and parsnips (see our roasted vegetable recipe). To serve these as an appetizer or snack, make each pancake with about one tablespoon of batter.
- 1 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chipotle powder or cayenne pepper, pinch or two
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp Metropolitan Market Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 8 sprigs mint, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 to 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Combine the garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour, cumin, and salt in a bowl. Slowly whisk in water and 2 Tbsp olive oil to make a smooth pancake batter. Set aside to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine all chutney ingredients in a medium bowl. For a smoother chutney, pulse ingredients in a mini chopper or food processor. Cover and chill.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil into skillet and rotate pan to coat. Spoon 2 Tbsp of batter onto skillet. Cook for a minute or two, until bubbles form across pancake and edges begin to dry; flip and cook until golden on both sides. Remove to a warm plate and cover with a towel while cooking remaining pancakes.
- To serve, top each pancake with a spoonful of chutney.
- Cook’s Tip:
- Vary the dish by adding your own favorite toppings such as diced roasted vegetables, chopped fresh vegetables, and/or microgreens.