Shrimp and Asparagus with Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- 4 Tbsp peanut or other cooking oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed* and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp prepared black bean sauce
- 1 Tbsp Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 water
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Hot cooked rice or noodles, optional
- *To Trim Asparagus: Hold a spear at both ends. Bend until spear breaks. Repeat with all spears. Discard tough bottom ends. Slice as directed.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the garlic and half of the chili flakes; stir and cook for 15 seconds. Add the shrimp and sauté for 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and just cooked through. Remove the shrimp to a warm serving dish.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp peanut oil, garlic and chili flakes; stir and cook for about 15 seconds. Add the asparagus, stock, black bean sauce and sesame oil. Stir and cook for a minute or two, until asparagus is tender-crisp. Add cornstarch mixture and stir just until sauce thickens.
- Return the cooked shrimp to the wok; stir for 30 seconds or until hot. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve at once with rice or noodles, as desired.
Ratings and Reviews
“Delicious and easy to make...a new favorite! ”